This feature is called “Unlock with Apple Watch” and it allows you to unlock your iPhone using your paired Apple Watch if Face ID fails or if you’re wearing a mask.
To use this feature, you need to have an Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.4 or later and an iPhone X or later with iOS 14.5 or later. Additionally, you need to have enabled the “Wrist Detection” feature on your Apple Watch.
Here are the steps to “How to Unlock your iPhone with your Apple Watch”:
- Make sure your iPhone and Apple Watch are both up to date with the latest software.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode and enter your passcode.
- Scroll down to the “Unlock with Apple Watch” section and toggle it on.
- If you have multiple Apple Watches, select the one you want to use for unlocking your iPhone.
- You may be prompted to enter your Apple Watch passcode.
That’s it! Now when you are wearing your Apple Watch and Face ID fails or if you’re wearing a mask, your iPhone will automatically unlock if it is nearby your Apple Watch. You will feel a haptic tap on your wrist to confirm that your iPhone has been unlocked.
It’s important to note that this feature only works if your Apple Watch is on your wrist and unlocked. If you take your Apple Watch off or lock it, you’ll need to enter your iPhone passcode to unlock your phone.